Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Creating A Watermark Using PicMonkey


 I firmly believe that ALL of us who create 
should be doing two things
  1. Watermarking our artwork
  2. giving credit to the original artist when at all possible  

Let me start today's ramblings by stating:
  • I am ALL for "scraplifting" and "CASEing" (copy and steal everything).  
  • I think imitation IS the greatest form of flattery.  
  • I often use someone else's artwork as a jumping off point.  Heck, I even think it is ok to just flat out COPY and recreate FOR MY OWN PERSONAL USE.  

What  I do not believe is right is to post, pin, or present (in anyway, someone else's artwork as mine.  

While browsing around on pinterest and facebook getting inspired by the artwork of others the other day I saw a post by a CTMH sister consultant that got me all fired up.  Someone had cropped her name and info off the bottom of her layout and posted it on the internet.....WAY WAY NOT COOL!  

It is one thing to re-pin something and not be aware of the original source (although this is something I am working on) but that "someone" had to go out of their way to download, crop, edit, and THEN repost her artwork.  On the spot I replied to her fb post and offered to teach her how to make a true watermark.  Their have since been several  responses showing interest in how to do this, someone even suggested I make a you tube video.....

Ok, well here it goes.  Today I have learned:
  1. I am NOT prepared to enter into the you tube video making business/hobby....yet
  2. The guys at picmonkey.com are awesome

This is my watermark.  My name and my website, simple but to the point.  I created this watermark a couple of months ago using picmonkey.  You can't see it in the first picture but it was created on a CLEAR background and then saved in my "for my blog" folder so that I can layer it on top of any picture that I am planning to put on the internet.
 

This is a sample of what my watermark looks like on a layout that I have posted.  Notice how it looks "faded" while the original did not?  Well the beauty of using picmonkey is that once I layer the watermark over the picture I can change the color so that it shows up no matter what color the underlying picture is...and then....I can use a slider bar to "fade out" the lettering.....EASY PEASY!!!!



This is where my statement "The guys at picmonkey are awesome" comes in.  While attempting to create a tutorial or a video (EEK!).  It suddenly occurred to me...."WHY are you trying to reinvent the wheel here"?  I contacted picmonkey to try and get permission (YES, I believe in asking permission & giving credit where credit is due) to re-post their entire, AMAZING watermarking tutorial onto my blog.  I was quickly contacted back and was told that re-posting would "make the monkey sad" and suggested that I instead create a post showing examples of MY watermark, saying "a few kind words about picmonkey" and then linking you to their tutorial.

Well DUHH!!!
It's a classic case of "CASEing" at it's best.

Click on the link below to go directly to the tutorial.

Claim Your Artistry by Adding a Watermark

If I manged to do it....so can you!  And just think how much easier it will be for ALL of us if every picture out there had a name and website watermarked on it......

(oh by the way....I made my signature box in picmonkey too!)


17 comments:

  1. You are WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL!

    I treasure your willingness to help us and most of all I treasure your Friendship! :)

    CTMH Sister, Sus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan....you are more than welcome. Just keep sharing your awesome work!

      Delete
  2. Carolyn! Thanks sooooooo much! I just made my very own real watermark thanks to your info and links! I am linking in my Saturday blogpost to give your credit for helping me, lol! ;) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SOOO glad you found me and made your watermark! I would LOVE LOVE for you to spread this article around pin it, share it....etc....anything to get the word out there. :-)

      Delete
  3. I think it was so awesome of you to do this for everyone. Very loving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh!!!! I just went to followed the link to pic monkey that you posted! I edit almost all of my photos in picmonkey, but had no idea that I could OVERLAY my signature!!! I have been creating it each and every time! What a time saver! Again...you're the best! Sincerely...you are the best!

      Delete
    2. Hi Tamytha, thank you so much for stopping by for a visit to my blog. YOU do such inspiring work and have been an inspiration to me many times over. Isn't it NICE to be able to save your watermark and use it consistantly over and over?
      Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com

      Delete
  4. I just started my blog, and even thought I have known about watermarking I haven't been doing it. So I guess I now have a project to work on. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment. I am GLAD this post was inspiring to you. Good luck on building your blog!
      Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com

      Delete
  5. What great advice!! I started watermarking my photos years ago!

    I am 'hopping' over from the Cuddlebug Cutties Sunday Linky Party! ~KM
    http://kraftymax.blogspot.com/2013/04/blog-hopping-42113.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit & comment. Watermarking just makes my life sooo much easier. When I save something or pin it if the watermark is already there I don't have to later wonder WHO created the artwork
      Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com

      Delete
  6. i love your style of writing posts, am off to the link to create a watermark for my blog pics, I work on picasa for my pic edit, hope this watermark will work in picasa.
    thanx, suman
    http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Suman, I would love to know if the PicMonkey watermark (saved as a png) works in your picassa photo editing. thanks for visiting & leaving a comment!
      Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com

      Delete
  7. Thanks, my dear. I love Picmonkey. And I didn't realize that they had a tutorial for this. I just used it, and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing the link here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vicki, you are SO very welcome and thank YOU for stopping by to visit & taking the time to comment. I LOVE your blog....you have been an inspiration many many times over :-)
      Carolyn @ iamthecraftylady.com

      Delete
  8. From one Burch girl to another: THANK YOU! Thank you so much for posting this information. I was typing by blog address each time I edited a photo in picmonkey! This is so much better.
    Jeanie Burch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can browse the images on your computer, folder by folder, then select an image and choose from the default conversion/correction setting or a range of presets http://magickeffectsphoto.com/.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips